Posted by : Amber Marfatia
You just purchased new Android Tablet OR an Android Phone and don’t know how to connect usb modem to android Tablet to access internet with it? Or having Tablet without inbuilt 3G sim
connectivity and wanted to connect your Data card/ USB modem to it , if it is so then this is the post for all of those who wanted to access internet via USB data card modem whether its 3G data card or any CDMA EVDO data card.
Currently in market there are many Android Tablet available with USB port but with no 3G support sim. Tablet like HCL Me X-1, Aakash tablet or Ubislate7, iberry tablet, Acer iconia BSNL penta tablet or almost any Tablet which doesn’t have any inbuilt sim functionality, but USB port is available. But for phones which does not have USB port, dont worry we can make them enable to connect with USB. Refert my earlier blog - http://techhanger.blogspot.in/2013/05/connect-keyboard-usb-flashdrives.html
On connecting the device with the dongle,
1. Press the Menu Button on your Android tablet.
2. Select the “Settings” option from main menu
3. After select the “Wireless & Networks” option from first row
4. Make sure that Wi-fi is not connected if connected uncheck it. because wi-fi and 3G and internet dongle cannot be operated simultaneously
5. Now Connect your USB data card dongle to tablet using the USB port or USB dongle adapter. Enable 3G option by selecting the “3G” option from same menu.
6. Wait for 1-2 min after which the signal strength will show up on the status bar on left side of the battery status indicator. If no signal bar appear on tablet even after 2-3 min then remove USB data card and check if sim is inserted properly then re insert it again. or try after sometime
7.Now Select “Mobile Networks” from menu.
8.Now Select “Access Point Names” from menu. Make sure that “Data enabled” option is switched on. If not, switch it on by selecting the same. If you are using roaming sim then you also need to select and switch on the “Data roaming” option
9. After selection of “Access Point Names” option blank screen will be displayed like this. Now Press “Menu” button..Now Select “New APN” option and insert your network provider given details same like GPRS setting. Given below of all operators setting.
10. Now enable the APN by pressing round radio button next to it. If enabled radio button will glow green as shown here
11. Around 1-2 minute’s later the APN is enabled, the status bar will show the 3G logo like this. This 3G logo indicates that the internet connection has been successfully established.
12. Your Android Tablet is now connected to the internet. Now you can surf internet from browser of Tablet. If you are not able to connect internet after enabling 3G option then switch it off and switch it on again after 1 min.
Tata Photon, MTS, Reliance Netconnect users can use this settings: Create new profile and name it “Tata” or anything of your choice. in APN setting fill #777. In User name and password setting fill input setting provided by your operator. Leave everything blank in all other setting and connect it using that profile. MTS customers: User name: email@example.com. password: MTS Note: for all information related to MCC, MNC, Brand, Operator and Bands (MHz) of your mobile operator